Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Drive Sober 200
TRACK: Dover International Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: Three Times for 54 Laps
CHASE STANDINGS: 10th; 34 points out of 1st and 4 points out of 8th (Chase Cutoff for Round 2)
· For the second time of the 2016 NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) season, teams unloaded at the Monster Mile of Dover International Speedway for the second race of the inaugural NXS Chase. With rain playing a role in the race activities on Saturday, Erik Jones and the No. 20 GameStop Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration Toyota Camry team scored the pole starting position with only one round of qualifying completed before rain halted race activities for the remainder of the day. Returning to the track Sunday morning for the postponed Drive Sober 200, Jones and the No. 20 team led 54 laps before finishing the race two laps down in 16th.
· Under cloudy skies, Jones led the field to green Sunday morning for the Drive Sober 200 and immediately began to pull away from teammate and eventual winner, Daniel Suarez, before the field was slowed for a quick caution in the opening laps. Jones remained in the lead when the race returned to green.
· The second caution of the race waved on lap 34 and NASCAR made the decision to count the caution as the competition caution originally scheduled for lap 40. Jones pitted for right-side tires, fuel and a round of adjustments to help with the handling of the No. 20 GameStop Toyota Camry. The race restarted on lap 40 with Jones in the lead.
· With coaching from crew chief Chris Gabehart and spotter Chris Lambert, Jones continued to lead as both encouraged Jones to stay “nice and smooth” and to find his rhythm.
· Radioing the team on lap 47 that his Camry was “all over the place,” Jones dropped to second on lap 57 when Suarez took the lead.
· The third caution waved on lap 60 and the team opted to stay on track. The race restarted on lap 69 with Jones in second. As the race continued, the No. 20 Camry dropped several positions to seventh on lap 90.
· Concern over a vibration on lap 97 forced Jones to pit on lap 99 for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. Following the green-flag stop, Jones was scored 22nd, two laps down to the leaders.
· Continuing to struggle with the handling of the No. 20 Camry, Jones was able to get one lap back when the leaders were forced to make green-flag stops and returned to the lead lap on the lap 151 restart after taking the wave around under the caution.
· Over the final 49 laps, Jones was able to move up to eighth, but because of a different fuel sequence, was forced to pit for fuel in the closing laps. The stop dropped the team to 16th, two laps down to the leaders.
· Suarez won followed by Ty Dillon, Justin Allgaier, Ryan Blaney and Alex Bowman.
· Following the second race of the Chase, Jones sits 10th in the point standings, 34 points out of first.
· Up next is the third race of the 2016 Chase, and the final race of round one, the Drive for the Cure 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Friday, October 7. The race can be viewed on NBCSN at 8:00 p.m. ET.