Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Kansas Lottery 300
TRACK: Kansas Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: Three Times for 11 Laps
CHASE STANDINGS: 5th; 12 points out of 1st
· Making his first-career NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) start at Kansas Speedway, Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro Toyota Camry team started the Kansas Lottery 300 from the second position and led 11 laps before finishing the race one lap down in 15th.
· Under cloudy skies, the NXS field took the green-flag Saturday afternoon at Kansas Speedway for 200 laps around the 1.5-mile track. In the opening laps, Jones quickly settled in to second behind teammate and eventual winner Kyle Busch.
· Jones was able to lead lap 11 before tucking back in behind Busch to maintain his position in second.
· As Busch and Jones continued to pull away from the field, Jones asked crew chief Chris Gabehart for help making his No. 20 Camry more secure on the track. With the race continuing under green, the field was forced to make green-flag pit stops with Jones hitting pit road for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments on lap 51. Once the field cycled through stops, Jones returned to second behind Busch.
· The caution waved on lap 58 and would wave two more times over the next 30 laps. Jones opted to stay out under each caution until the fourth caution of the race on lap 86 when Jones pitted for four tires and fuel. With teams on various pit strategies, the race restarted on lap 91 with the Reser’s team in 10th place as the first car with four fresh tires.
· Focused on getting back to the front, Jones picked off one car at a time and survived several cautions to move back in to second on lap 125 behind Busch.
· The field was forced to make another round of green-flag stops with Gabehart calling Jones to pit road on lap 148 for fuel and tires. Unfortunately, the field slowed again on lap 157 with three cars still needing to pit, trapping the field a lap down. Jones was able to take the wave around under the caution and restarted the race from fifth on lap 163. Immediately after the restart, the field was again under yellow for a wreck. The race restarted on lap 174 with Jones sixth.
· With 25 scheduled laps remaining, Jones took over the lead before the caution on lap 176. The race restarted on lap 182 and contact with the 42 car on the restart caused damage to the Reser’s Camry forcing Jones to pit road for a tire rub. While on pit road, the caution waved on lap 187. The race restarted for the final time on lap 187 with Jones in the 15th position as the only car one lap down. Unable to get back on the lead lap, Jones crossed the finish line 15th.
· Busch won the race followed by Elliott Sadler, Daniel Suarez, Joey Logano and Kyle Larson.
· With his 15th-place finish, Jones is tied for fourth in the point standings, 12 points out of first.
· The NASCAR XFINITY Series now has two weeks off before returning to action at Texas Motor Speedway for the O’Reilly Auto Parts Challenge on Saturday, November 5. The race can be viewed on NBC at 3:30 p.m. ET.