Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – PowerShares QQQ 300
TRACK: Daytona International Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro Toyota Camry
- Ready to kick off the 2016 NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) season, the No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro Toyota Camry team unloaded at Daytona International Speedway with Rookie of the Year Contender Erik Jones and a new crew chief, Chris Gabehart. From the start of practice on Friday, the team proved to be one of the fastest cars in the NXS garage.
- Qualifying in the fifth position for the season opener, Jones and the team knew the key to the day would be patience to ensure they were in a place at the end of 120 laps with a shot at the win.
- As the field took the green flag, spotter Chris Lambert immediately began guiding Jones through the field as he raced in the middle of two-wide and three-wide racing.
- The first caution of the race waved on lap five with the team opting to stay on track. Jones restarted the race in the 13th spot on lap 10.
- Settling back in to the green-flag run, Jones was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time when a multi-car accident happened on lap 13 on the backstretch. The team called Jones to pit road for multiple stops under the caution to assess the damage and make as many repairs as time would allow. The race restarted on lap 17 with Jones one lap down in the 38th position.
- Jones continued to make laps and learn throughout the remainder of the 120-lap event, crossing the finish line in 31st place, five laps down to the leaders.
- Chase Elliott won the race followed by Joey Logano, Kasey Kahne, Elliott Sadler and Austin Dillon.
- Jones currently sits 22nd in points, 28 points out of first place.