Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFNITY Series – O’Reilly Auto Parts 300
TRACK: Texas Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Mortal Kombat X Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: 6 Times for 79 Laps; Most Laps Led
OWNER POINTS POSITION: 6th (42 points out of 1st)
- Making just his ninth-career NASCAR XFINITY Series start, Erik Jones earned his first series victory in dominating fashion under the lights at Texas Motor Speedway.
- Sweeping all three qualifying sessions, Jones earned his second-career NASCAR XFINITY Series pole and led the field to green for the O’Reilly Auto Parts 300 behind the wheel of the No. 20 GameStop Mortal Kombat X Toyota Camry. With the race under way for 200 laps, Jones settled into his positon at the front of the field with spotter Tony Hirschman coaching the 18-year-old around the 1.5-mile track.
- Happy with his Toyota Camry the entire race, Jones visited pit road for four routine pit stops, including one green-flag stop, taking on four fresh tires, fuel and making small adjustments throughout the 200-lap event. With solid stops each time, Jones was the first car off pit road after every pit stop.
- With great coaching from crew chief Mike Wheeler and Hirschman, Jones was able to remain in the top five for the entire race and battle for the lead with Cup Series regulars Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Brad Keselowski.
- At the end of the night, Jones prevailed to claim his first victory in the series and Toyota’s 99th-career NASCAR XFINITY Series victory since joining the series in 2007.
- Jones crossed the finish line 1.624 seconds in front of second-place finisher Keselowski. Earnhardt, Jr. finished third followed by Regan Smith and Austin Dillon.
- The win also marked Crew Chief Mike Wheeler’s first win as a crew chief.
- The No. 20 Toyota Camry team gained three positions in the NASCAR XFINITY Series point standings and now sits sixth, 42 points out of the lead.
Erik Jones’ Post-Race Thoughts:
“It’s just surreal. It’s going to take a minute for this one to sink in. This has got to be one of the biggest wins in my career by far, to race against these Cup guys and being able to go out and get a win. I knew we had a fast Camry, I never go into a race thinking we can’t win, but it’s still far-fetched to think – man, it’s amazing, I watched the other guys do it, win races as young guys, and I wanted to be that guy. Now we’re here in victory lane and taking it all in and honestly can’t wait to get to the race track again.”