Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – American Ethanol E15 250
TRACK: Iowa Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Freightliner Toyota Camry
- For the first NASCAR XFINITY Series standalone race of the year, teams headed to Newton, Iowa for the short track of Iowa Speedway.
- With a fast Freightliner Camry, Erik Jones and the team ran the fastest lap during Saturday afternoon's qualifying session to earn their sixth pole of the season. Unfortunately, the team was forced to start at the rear of Sunday's American Ethanol E15 250 for a post-tech measurement that NASCAR deemed an unapproved adjustment.
- With the race under way, Jones leaned on spotter Branden Lines to guide him around the .875-mile track. Running lap times comparable to the leaders, Jones cracked the top 20 by lap five and moved in to the top 10 on lap 19.
- On lap 25, while reporting how his Camry was handling, Jones also reported to crew chief Chris Gabehart that he was losing fuel pressure. As the race continued, Jones was forced to hit pit road for fuel on lap 39. The team filled the Freightliner Camry with Sunoco fuel and changed four tires. Jones returned to the track as the competition caution waved on lap 40. The team planned to stay on track and take the wave around to get back on the lead lap, but because the team added fuel before the scheduled competition caution, NASCAR handed down a penalty. Jones restarted the race at the tail end of the field in 37th place on lap 47, one lap down to the leaders.
- Focused on getting back on the lead lap, Jones moved in to the 'Lucky Dog' position on lap 51 while running in the 24th spot.
- Closing in on lap 80, Jones again began to lose fuel pressure. The team determined the issue was due to a mechanical failure and not something that could be quickly fixed on pit road. Jones was forced to make a fuel only stop on lap 83 under green. Jones returned to the track in 30th position, three laps down to the leaders. The team updated Jones that under the next caution, they were prepared to change the fuel cell to correct the issue.
- The second caution flag waved on lap 98 and Jones reported to the garage to his waiting team. The Freightliner team changed the fuel cell of the No. 20 Camry and sent Jones back to the track, seven laps down to the leaders.
- As the race continued, Jones ran lap times comparable to the leaders and spent the remainder of the race trying to learn for when teams return to Iowa Speedway later this season.
- Jones crossed the finish line in 27th place.
- Teammate Sam Hornish, Jr. won the race followed by Ty Dillon, Brad Keselowski, Daniel Suárez and Alex Bowman.
- With his 27th-place finish, Jones drops to seventh in the point standings, 79 points behind leader and teammate Suárez.
- The NASCAR XFINITY Series returns to action on Friday, July 1st, under the lights at Daytona International Speedway for the Subway Firecracker 250. The race can be viewed on NBCSN at 7:30 p.m. ET.