Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Drive to Stop Diabetes 300
TRACK: Bristol Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Rock Candy Toyota Camry
OWNER POINTS POSITION: 5th (50 points out of 1st)
- Earning his third-career and third-consecutive NASCAR XFINITY Series pole, Erik Jones and the No. 20 GameStop Rock Candy Toyota Tundra team led the field to green at Bristol Motor Speedway for the Drive to Stop Diabetes 300.
- Losing the lead on the initial start to eventual race winner Joey Logano, Jones settled in to the top five with spotter Tony Hirschman guiding the 18-year-old around the half-mile Tennessee track and through lap traffic early in the 300-lap event.
- During the lap 55 caution, Jones radioed from the third position to the team that he was happy with the car, but just couldn’t run with the leader at the start of the race. Crew Chief Mike Wheeler called Jones to pit road for right-side tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 63 with Jones in the third position. Unfortunately, on the restart, Jones missed a shift and dropped to ninth.
- Trapped in traffic, the No. 20 GameStop Toyota Camry became tight on handling, but Jones was able to maintain his position in the top 10 before making his second stop of the race during the lap 119 caution. Wheeler called Jones to the attention of the No. 20 GameStop crew for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 124 with Jones in the eighth position.
- Unable to progress his position, Jones took advantage of the lap 172 caution to return to pit road for his final stop of the race, taking on four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 179 with the GameStop Camry in the eighth position.
- As teams used varying strategies, Jones moved up to sixth before the caution was displayed again on lap 181. With two more quick cautions, the team was able to advance their position on each restart to be scored in the second position on lap 200.
- With a strong Toyota Camry, Jones was able to cross the finish line with a solid fourth-place finish, his fourth consecutive top-five finish of the season in the NASCAR XFINITY Series.
- The No. 20 Toyota Camry team gained one position in the NASCAR XFINITY Series point standings and now sits fifth, 50 points out of the lead.
Erik Jones’ Post-Race Thoughts:
“We had a good GameStop Camry. Had good speed this morning and I don't know if the track tightened up or what, but it's just so hard to pass here being single file on the top like that. Overall it's not a bad day. We got it better and thought we were a top-three car at end, but the restarts didn't work out our way. We'll get it better and we'll come back in the fall and have something a little better."