Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Hisense 300
TRACK: Charlotte Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Turtle Beach Toyota Camry
- For the 11th race of the 2015 NASCAR XFINITY Series season, Erik Jones earned the seventh starting position for the Hisense 300 at Charlotte Motor Speedway behind the wheel of the No. 20 GameStop Turtle Beach Toyota Camry.
- With a fast car from the start, Jones quickly radioed the team that even though he had the speed, he wasn’t able to do much on track to pass competitors in front of him and by lap 20, told the team the handling of the car had turned to really tight conditions.
- Continuing to run in the top 10, Jones was able to bring his Camry to pit road for the first time under the lap 47 caution. Pitting from the eighth position, the team changed four tires, added fuel and made a round of adjustments to help with the handling. With a solid stop, Jones gained three positions to restart the race from the fifth spot on lap 56.
- Losing several positions on the restart, Jones remained in the top 10 reporting that the GameStop Camry was still too tight to gain positions.
- As the race continued under green-flag conditions, the field began making scheduled pit stops on lap 97. Jones pitted on lap 100 for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments. Once the field cycled through green-flag pit stops, Jones was scored in the eighth position on lap 104.
- Shortly after the field completed green-flag stops, the caution flag waved on lap 109. The team opted to bring the No. 20 GameStop Camry to pit road for four fresh Goodyear tires and to top off with Sunoco fuel. With several teams choosing to stay on track during the caution, Jones restarted the race on lap 117 from the 10th position.
- Picking off one competitor at a time, Jones made his way into the sixth position on lap 129. Battling with the No. 54 for fifth, Jones was unable to advance his position.
- Closing in on another round of green-flag stops, Jones was called to pit road on lap 155 for his last scheduled stop of the race. The team changed four tires and filled the No. 20 Camry with fuel. Returning to the track, Jones was scored in the 17th position, one lap down to the leaders. Unfortunately, the caution waved on lap 158 before the field cycled through green-flag pit stops, trapping the No. 20 team one lap down. Jones was able to take the wave around under the caution to return to the lead lap. The race restarted on lap 166 with Jones in the 17th position.
- The race remained green and with conditions making it difficult to pass in traffic, Jones crossed the finish line in the 15th position.
Erik Jones’ Post-Race Thoughts:
How was the race overall and what happened that put you behind late in the race? “It was alright – we just tried to short pit and beat everybody on pit strategy and the caution came out. It just wasn’t our day overall. We just had a lot of things go like that during the day and just so hard to race during the day. It’s too bad that we have to race in the day like that – you just get singled out on the bottom and you can’t pass. It’s a bummer. We had a faster GameStop Camry than that, just couldn’t get ourselves in position to have a shot at it really. When the caution came out and put us a lap down and never really got to work back up with not really being able to pass. We did all we could and we’ll go on to next week.”