Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Lilly Diabetes 250
TRACK: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Hisense USA Toyota Camry
START: 1st (Heat 2); 2nd (Main)
FINISH: 1st (Heat 2); 22nd (Main)
LAPS: 20/20 (Heat 2); 62/63 (Main)
· For the final ‘Dash 4 Cash’ race of the 2016 NASCAR XFINITY Series (NXS) season, teams headed to the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Lilly Diabetes 250.
· Qualifying in the second position, Erik Jones and the No. 20 Hisense USA Toyota team secured the pole position for the second of two 20-lap Heat Races to set the field for the Main Event and determine the four drivers eligible for the ‘Dash 4 Cash’ bonus. Starting the second Heat Race from the first position, Jones quickly took command of the lead, finishing the race more than five seconds in front of second place. With the finish, Jones became one of four NXS regulars to qualify for the $100,000 ‘Dash 4 Cash’ bonus.
· With the field set for the 60-lap main event, Jones lined up in second place with teammate and eventual race winner Kyle Busch on the pole.
· As the race got underway, Jones was passed for second and quickly radioed the team that he was too tight at the start of the race. With encouragement and coaching from both spotter Chris Lambert and crew chief Chris Gabehart, Jones settled in to third and focused on running clean laps to catch the second-place car.
· On lap 17, after battling through lapped traffic, Jones was able to catch and pass Kyle Larson to return to the second position behind Busch.
· With a caution free race, teams were forced to make green-flag pit stops beginning on lap 23. Jones updated the Hisense USA team about the handling of the No. 20 Camry and on lap 26, pitted under green for four tires and fuel. The field cycled through stops and Jones returned to second behind Busch.
· Pushing the No. 20 Camry to the limit and looking for speed to catch the leader, Jones got in to the wall and was forced to pit under green on lap 41. The team changed right-side tires and worked on repairing damage to the right-rear quarter panel. Jones returned to the track in the 11th position as the last car on the lead lap.
· Unfortunately, a tire rub damaged the right-rear tire and Jones spun on lap 48 to bring out the first caution of the race. Jones pitted two times under the caution to change tires and repair damage to the No. 20 Camry. The race restarted on lap 53 with Jones scored one-lap down in the 22nd position.
· The race slowed again on lap 54 for a multi-car accident forcing the Lilly Diabetes 250 in to overtime. The race restarted on lap 61.
· Unable to gain positions in the final laps, Jones crossed the finish line on lap 63 one lap down in 22nd place.
· Busch won the race followed by Kevin Harvick, Paul Menard, Larson and Justin Allgaier.
· Jones dropped to sixth in the point standings, 69 points behind leader and teammate Daniel Suárez.
· The NASCAR XFINITY Series now heads back to Iowa Speedway for the second race of the year on the .875-mile track on Saturday, July 30th, for the US Cellular 250. The race can be viewed on NBCSN at 8:00 p.m. ET.