Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – ToyotaCare 250
TRACK: Richmond International Raceway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Hisense USA Toyota Camry
START: 3rd (Heat One); 1st (Main)
LAPS: 35/35 (Heat One); 134/149 (Main)
LAPS LED: One Time for 35 Laps (Heat One); One Time for 17 Laps (Main)
- For the ToyotaCare 250, teams unloaded at Richmond International Raceway for the second of four ‘Dash 4 Cash’ races. With rain washing out on-track activities on Friday, the NASCAR XFINITY Series showed up Saturday for a one-day show. NASCAR canceled qualifying and opted to give teams one practice session Saturday morning to prepare their cars for the 35-lap Heat Race and 140-lap Main.
- With the field set for the Heat races based on Owner’s Points, Erik Jones and the No. 20 Hisense USA team started third in Heat One. Taking the lead on lap one of the 35-lap Heat race, Jones led all 35 laps to secure the first starting position in the Main event and a spot in the ‘Dash 4 Cash’ $100,000 bonus program.
- Following Heat Two and a break for teams to make adjustments to their cars, the 40-car field lined up for the 140-lap Main event at the Virginia short track.
- Dodging rain in the area, NASCAR waved the green flag for the ToyotaCare 250 and Jones quickly settled in to the lead, leading the first 17 laps before eventual race winner, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. took the lead.
- As the field began to lap cars, Jones lost one more position to Justin Allgaier to take over the third spot on lap 21.
- Jones continued to run third until teams were forced to make green-flag stops. The Hisense team called Jones to pit road on lap 101 for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments to help with the handling of his Toyota Camry. After the field cycled through stops, Jones was scored sixth.
- The caution waved on lap 125, and after reporting to the team that he was still struggling with the handling of the Hisense USA Camry, Jones made his second stop of the race for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments.
- The race restarted on lap 133 with Jones in the eighth position. Unfortunately, Jones was involved in a multi-car accident on the restart and with heavy damage, was forced to the garage. Jones was credited with a 34th-place finish in the ToyotaCare 250.
- Earnhardt Jr. won the race followed by Ty Dillon, Elliott Sadler, Daniel Suarez and Austin Dillon.
- With his finish at Richmond, Jones slips to fifth in the point standings, 35 points behind leader Daniel Suarez.
- The XFINITY Series returns to action next Saturday, April 30, at Talladega Superspeedway. The race can be viewed live on Fox at 2:00 p.m. ET.
Erik Jones’ Post-Race Thoughts:
How disappointing is this result today after last week’s victory?
“I think racing is a sport of highs and lows – we had our highs last weekend and we have our lows this week. Just an unfortunate day for us. We were off all day and then it just got worse as it went on. We didn’t have the speed in the Hisense Camry that I thought we would. We made okay gains on it all day. On that last green flag pit stop I think we ended up on the splitter, but overall a disappointing day for sure wrecking there in turn one. The 48 (Brennan Poole) stayed out on tires and they were quite a bit slower than the field – wasn’t his fault, but there was a pretty big wreck and we got caught up in it. Just a disappointing day, but we’ll keep trying and I know we’ve got good speed. We’ll come back next time and try again.”