Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Lilly Diabetes 250
TRACK: Indianapolis Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Mad Max Game Toyota Camry
- Rolling off third behind his Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) teammates Kyle Busch and Daniel Suarez, Erik Jones made his Indianapolis Motor Speedway debut in the No. 20 GameStop Max Max Game Toyota Camry. Quickly moving in to the second position on the initial start, Jones settled in to the third position on lap five after reporting to the team that his Camry was too loose.
- The first caution waved on lap 12 and the GameStop team called Jones to pit road for left-side tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. With teams on varying pit strategies, Jones restarted the race on lap 17 from the sixth position and after five green-flag laps, the field was slowed again for a multi-car accident in turn one. Radioing the team that the previous set of adjustments helped, but that he could still use a little more help with the handling of his GameStop Camry, Jones made his way to pit road on lap 27 for right-side tires, fuel and another set of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 30 with Jones in the 11th position. The team immediately instructed Jones to start saving fuel in order to make only one more stop during the 100-lap event.
- Jones was able to move up to the sixth position by lap 33 and was scored in the third position on lap 38. On lap 40, Jones told the team that his Camry was all over the place, with the handling being both tight and loose.
- Continuing to save fuel, Jones slipped a few position to fifth at the halfway point of the race.
- The team made their last scheduled stop of the race on lap 64 under green-flag conditions for four tires, fuel and adjustments. Waiting on fuel to ensure Jones could make it to the end, he returned to the track in the seventh position, but was able to move up to fifth once stops cycled through the field.
- Unfortunately, while battling for a position, Jones got in to the outside wall on lap 69. After assessing the damaged GameStop Mad Max Game Toyota Camry on pit road, it was determined that the damage was too significant to fix on pit road and forced to the team to the garage for repairs.
- The team was able to get Jones back on track on lap 90, 20 laps down to the leaders. When the checkered flag waved, Jones crossed the finish line in the 34th position.
- JGR teammate Busch won the Lilly Diabetes 250 followed by Ryan Blaney, Suarez, Paul Menard and Elliott Sadler.
Erik Jones’ Post-Race Thoughts:
What happened on the race track?
“I just lost it. That happens sometimes. That’s just the manifestation of the package of the car we had today, just not enough speed and I was trying to get too much out of it. It’s going to happen. It’s unfortunate we couldn’t end our day well, just didn’t have the speed those guys had up front. We’ll keep building and bring something better back next time.”