Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Mid-Ohio Challenge
TRACK: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 DEWALT FLEXVOLT™ Toyota Camry
· Unloading at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, the NASCAR XFINTY Series prepared for the second road course race of the season. Qualifying in the sixth position for the Mid-Ohio Challenge, Erik Jones and the No. 20 DEWALT FLEXVOLT™ Toyota Camry team survived the-rain soaked race to finish in the same position, sixth after 75 laps around the 13-turn track.
· With the green flag in the air Saturday afternoon and the radar showing rain in the area, teams were prepared in the pits with both rain tires and normal race tires. As anticipated, the race was halted on lap two for rain and crew chief Chris Gabehart made the call to bring Jones to pit road to switch to rain tires. Jones returned to the track with the team reminding him to keep the car on track and be patient while adapting to the wet conditions. The race restarted on lap nine with Jones in the sixth position.
· Jones was able to advance as high as fourth before dropping back to sixth when the second caution waved on lap 13 for a spin on the track. Gabehart made the call to leave Jones on the track and again reminded him that running cautious laps was good and to focus on making it to the end of the 75-lap race. The race restarted on lap 18 with Jones sixth. With several cars getting together on the restart, Jones too got in the back of a competitor, leaving the No. 20 Camry with damage to the right-side nose of the car. The race continued until lap 20 when another full course caution was displayed. Jones was scored in fifth place for the lap 23 restart.
· The caution was waved again on lap 27 with Jones in the seventh position. The team opted to leave Jones on the track and the race restarted on lap 31. As the field got up to speed to make their way around the 13 turn course, Jones spun and several competitors made contact with the No. 20 Camry causing damage to the right-rear quarter panel. With a full course caution displayed, Jones was able to pit two times under the caution to repair the damage and change tires. The race restarted on lap 33 with Jones in the 30th position, still on the lead lap.
· Picking off one car at a time, Jones cracked the top 20 on lap 38 and returned to the top 15 on lap 41.
· On lap 42 under green-flag conditions, Gabehart called Jones to pit road for fresh tires, switching from rain tires to normal race tires, and packed the No. 20 Camry with fuel.
· Over the next 10 laps, Jones moved from 18th to 12th before the caution was displayed for debris on lap 52. Before the race returned to green-flag conditions, rain started to fall again and teams opted to return to pit to switch back to rain tires. The race restarted on lap 55 with Jones in the 10th spot.
· With several cautions over the final laps, Jones was able to stay focused on the leaders and gain several positions to cross the finish line solidly in the sixth position.
· Justin Marks won the Mid-Ohio Challenge followed by Sam Hornish, Jr., Ryan Blaney, Ty Dillon and Justin Allgaier.
· Jones remains fourth in the point standings with three wins and 52 points behind leader Elliott Sadler.
· Up next for the NASCAR XFINITY Series is the Food City 300 at Bristol Motor Speedway on Friday, August 19. The race can be viewed on USA Network at 7:30 p.m. ET.