Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Food City 300
TRACK: Bristol Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: Six Times for 31 Laps
· Earning his seventh pole of the season, Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Main St. Bistro team led the field to green on Friday night under the lights at Bristol Motor Speedway for the Food City 300. Jones led 31 laps and looked poised for a solid finish before a late-race accident relegated the team to a 33rd-place finish.
· Racing on the famed Tennessee half-mile track, Jones led the start of the Food City 300 before Kyle Larson made a pass for the lead in the early laps. Reporting to the team that his Camry fired off loose, Jones stayed focused on the lead and was able to regain the lead on lap six.
· As the race continued and the leaders encountered the tail end of the field, Jones was able to maneuver his way through traffic before Larson again made a pass for the lead on lap 30. With the Reser’s Camry still handling on the loose side, the No. 20 team was able to take a big swing at adjustments during the lap 76 caution. Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and multiple adjustments to help with the handling of the Reser’s Camry. The race restarted on lap 83 with Jones in second behind leader Larson.
· Maintaining his position in the top three while battling with leader Larson and teammate Kyle Busch, Jones radioed the team that his Camry was better following the adjustments during the first stop.
· The team made their second stop of the race just past the halfway mark on lap 151 under caution for four tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 159 with Jones in the second position.
· The race slowed again on lap 161 and 193 for on-track incidents. Crew chief Chris Gabehart opted to leave Jones on track under both cautions to maintain the teams spot in second place.
· With the race slowing on lap 233 for a single-car incident, Jones pitted for his final stop for four tires and fuel. Following the stop, Jones stalled leaving the pit box and lost several positions on pit road. With teams on varying pit strategies, Jones restarted the race on lap 240 from the ninth position.
· Unfortunately, several laps later while trying to make his way back to the front of the field, Jones made contact with teammate Daniel Suarez and both drivers spun on lap 244 to bring out the caution. Jones brought the No. 20 Camry to pit road to assess the damage and after seeing how badly the Reser’s Camry was damaged, the team determined it was too much to continue.
· Jones was credited with a 33rd-place finish.
· Austin Dillon won the race followed by Justin Allgaier, Kyle Larson, Elliott Sadler and Brendan Gaughan.
· Jones drops to sixth in the point standings with three wins and 80 points behind leader Elliott Sadler.
· The NASCAR XFINITY Series now heads to Road America on Saturday, August 27, for the Road America 180. The race can be viewed on NBCSN at 3:00 p.m. ET.