Box Score Info
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – VisitMyrtleBeach.com 300
TRACK: Kentucky Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 GameStop Overwatch Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: Five Times for 100 Laps
CHASE STANDINGS: 9th; 23 points out of 1st and 3 points out of 8th (Chase Cutoff for Round 2)
· For the first race of the 2016 NASCAR XFINITY Series Chase, Erik Jones and the No. 20 GameStop Overwatch Toyota Camry team earned their eighth pole of the season to lead the field to green under the lights Saturday night for the VisitMyrtleBeach.com 300 at Kentucky Speedway. Jones led the race five times for 100 laps before a late-race accident relegated the team to a 28th-place finish.
· With the race under way for 200 laps around the 1.5-mile Kentucky track, Jones led the first 25 laps before the competition caution waved. The team made their first stop of the night for right-side tires and fuel. With issues changing the right front, Jones lost several position and restarted the race in the sixth spot on lap 31.
· As the race continued, Jones stayed focused and retook the lead on lap 62 and immediately began to pull away from the field.
· Jones made his second stop of the race during the lap 70 caution period for right-side tires and fuel. With teams on varying pit strategies, Jones retained the lead exciting pit road. The race restarted on lap 75 and over the next 25 laps would be slowed several times for on-track incidents.
· Continuing to lead the field, Jones made his third stop of the race under the lap 129 caution. Opting for four tires and fuel while the field continued on varying strategies, Jones restarted the race from 15th on lap 134.
· Focused on the lead and making his way through the field, Jones returned to the top 10 on lap 138, the top five on lap 145 and the lead on lap 153.
· Maintaining the lead, Jones made his final stop on lap 178 under caution for right-side tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 181 with Jones in the fifth positon.
· Jones was able to take over the third position before the caution waved on lap 183. The team opted to stay out under the caution with the race restarting on lap 187 with Jones in third and unfortunately, contact with a competitor following the restart ended the day for the No. 20 GameStop Overwatch Toyota Camry team. Jones was credited with a 28th-place finish.
· Elliott Sadler won the race followed by Daniel Suarez, Ryan Blaney, Sam Hornish, Jr. and Matt Tifft.
· Following the first race of the Chase, Jones sits ninth in the point standings, 23 points out of first.
· Up next is the second race of the 2016 Chase, the Drive Sober 200 at Dover International Speedway on Saturday, October 1. The race can be viewed on NBCSN at 3:00 p.m. ET.