Box Score Info:
RACE: NASCAR XFINITY Series – Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300
TRACK: Bristol Motor Speedway
DRIVER: Erik Jones
CAR: No. 20 Reser’s American Classics Toyota Camry
LAPS LED: Two Times for 27 Laps
OWNER’S POINT STANDINGS: 2nd (53 points out of 1st)
· Returning to the track after a one week break, the NASCAR XFINITY Series arrived at Bristol Motor Speedway for the Fitzgerald Glider Kits 300 on Saturday afternoon. Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry team started the race from the fourth position and after 300 laps, crossed the finish line in the first position for his second win in a row this season.
· With the race underway, Jones quickly moved up to second and battled with Kyle Larson for the lead early in the race. Continuing to run in the top three, the caution waved on lap 79 for a one-car incident on the track. Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and an adjustment to help with the handling of his Reser’s Camry. Stage one ended on lap 85 and the race restarted on lap 94 with Jones third.
· Caught on the outside and pushed high on the track, Jones made slight contact with the wall and slid to seventh before the caution waved on lap 119. The team opted to stay on track and Jones restarted the race from seventh on lap 129.
· Making his way towards the front of the field, Jones moved back in to the top five on lap 137 and took over fourth before the caution waved on lap 159 for rain.
· Following a lengthy rain delay, the race resumed under caution with Jones pitting on lap 164 for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 168 with Jones ninth. The caution quickly waved on lap 170 to end stage two with Jones scored 11th. The team opted to stay out under the caution with the race restarting on lap 177 with Jones sixth.
· Running lap times comparable to the leaders, Jones stayed focused on the lead and picked off one competitor at a time. The caution waved on lap 210 and Jones pitted for a routine stop only to receive a speeding penalty. Forced to start at the tail end of the field, Jones dropped from fourth to 15th for the lap 235 restart. Practicing patience and coaching from spotter Rick Carelli and crew chief Chris Gabehart, Jones slowly made his way through lapped traffic before the caution displayed on lap 243. The race restarted on lap 259 with Jones in 12th, but the caution and red flag was quickly displayed for a multiple car accident. The race restarted on lap 266 with Jones in seventh.
· Making his way to the front, Jones moved up to fourth before the caution flag waved on lap 270. The race restarted on lap 277 and Jones quickly made his move to the lead on lap 280.
· The final caution waved on lap 291 and Jones was able to hold the lead on the lap 297 restart to earn his second win of the season and his second win at the Tennessee track.
· Jones was followed across the finish line by Blaney, Daniel Suarez, Elliott Sadler and Daniel Hemric.
· The XFINITY Series returns to competition next week at Richmond International Raceway for the ToyotaCare 250 on Saturday, April 29, 2017.