Box Score Info:
Date: May 18, 2019
Event: Monster Energy All-Star Race (non-points event)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile Oval)
Format: 85 Laps (Stages: 30 laps / 20 laps / 20 laps / 15 laps)
Start/Finish: 7th/19th (Completed 77 of 88 laps)
Race Winner: Kyle Larson
Stage 1 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 2 Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 3 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-33)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started the Monster Energy All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway from seventh and finished stage one 19th.
- Starting the race from the seventh position, Jones radioed the team early in the stage that the No. 20 Camry was tight-handling. The caution was displayed on lap 25 after Jones made contact with the wall in turn four and the right-rear tire went down. The team made multiple stops under the caution to change tires and repair damage to the CRAFTSMAN Camry.
- The race restarted on lap 30 with Jones scored 19th where he would remain when the stage ended on lap 33, three laps beyond the scheduled distance.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 34-53)
- Jones started stage two from 19th and ended 10th.
- Stage two started on lap 34 with Jones making quick moves to advance from 19th to 11th when the caution waved on lap 35 for a multi-car accident. The team opted to stay out under the caution and Jones restarted the race from 11th on lap 39.
- The stage ended on lap 53 with Jones scored 10th. Hitting pit road under the caution for four tires, fuel and a big adjustment to help free up the CRAFTSMAN Camry, Jones was tagged for too fast on pit road and had to restart the race from the tail end of the field in the 17th position on lap 54.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 54-73)
- Jones started the third stage from 17th and ended eighth.
- With the race back underway for stage three, Jones again made quick work of the restart and moved back in to the top 10 on lap 55.
- Moving up to ninth, Jones was making a pass when contact between two competitors collected the No. 20 Camry causing significant right-side damage. Jones pitted under the caution for right-side tires and for the team to assess the damage. Determining the damage was only to the body of the car, the team was able to make repairs and send Jones back on the track for the lap 62 restart.
- Making his way back in to the top 10, Jones was scored eighth when the caution waved on lap 73 to end stage three.
Stage 4 Recap (Laps 74-88)
- Jones started the final stage from third and finished the race 19th.
- Opting to stay out under the lap 73 caution, Jones restarted the race from third on lap 74.
- Unfortunately, Jones received damage to the left rear on the restart and had to pit under caution on lap 77 for a flat left-rear tire. The team made repairs to the CRAFTSMAN Camry and Jones returned to the track, but another flat tire ended the team’s day one lap later.
- Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN team were credited with a 19th-place finish.
- Jones qualified for the 2019 All-Star race with his win last season at Daytona International Speedway in July.
Next Race: Staying in front the home crowd, teams return to Charlotte Motor Speedway on Sunday, May 26, 2019 for the Coca-Cola 600. The race is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. ET on FOX, PRN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.