Date: July 15, 2020
Event: All-Star Race
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Bristol Motor Speedway (.533-mile Oval)
Format: 140 laps (4 Stages: 55 laps / 90 laps / 125 laps / 140 laps)
Start/Finish: 16th/11th (Running, Completed 140 of 140 laps)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Ryan Blaney
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 3 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 55)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started the All-Star Race at Bristol Motor Speedway from the 16th position and finished stage one in fifth place.
- Racing under the lights at Bristol Motor Speedway, Jones quickly moved in to the top 10 before the first caution waved on lap seven. With the CRAFTSMAN Camry handling “pretty good,” crew chief Chris Gayle made the call to stay out under the caution and Jones restarted the race from 10th on lap 14.
- The caution flag waved on lap 55 to end stage one with Jones in the fifth position. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires and fuel. NASCAR penalized the team for a crew member over the wall too soon which forced Jones to drop from his fourth place position to the tail end of the field.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 56 – 90)
- Jones started the second stage from the 20th position and finished the stage in 11th.
- Restarting the race from 20th on lap 56, Jones cracked the top 15 on lap 66 and was able to advance to 11th on lap 80 where he remained until the caution waved on lap 90 to end the stage. Gayle again called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments for the tight-handling condition.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 91 – 125)
- Jones started the third stage from the 13th position and finished the stage in seventh.
- With stage three underway, Jones restarted the race from 13th and was able to move in to the top 10 on lap 98.
- The caution flag waved on lap 125 to end the stage with Jones in the seventh positon. The team opted to stay out under the caution before the 15-lap shootout to end the race.
Stage 4 Recap (Laps 126 – 140)
- Jones started the final stage from the sixth position and finished the stage in 11th.
- Starting the final stage from the sixth position, Jones quickly radioed the team he was too tight.
- Unable to move forward, Jones crossed the finish line on lap 140 in 11th place.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch finished second, Denny Hamlin finished fifth and Martin Truex Jr. finished 10th.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday, July 19, 2020. Coverage of the race will begin at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN, PRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.