Date: November 1, 2020
Event: Xfinity 500 (Round 35 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Martinsville Speedway (.526-mile Paperclip Oval)
Format: 500 laps (3 Stages: 130 laps / 260 laps / 500 laps)
Start/Finish: 19th/12th (Running, Completed 500 of 500 laps)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 2 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 130)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Toyota Camry team started Sunday’s race at Martinsville Speedway from the 19th position and finished stage one in 12th place.
- With two races left in the 2020 season, Jones rolled off the grid at Martinsville Speedway in the 19th position and made his was to 14th before the competition caution on lap 60. Pretty happy with the handling, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and a small adjustment. The race restarted on lap 68 with Jones in 15th.
- With several cautions throughout the second half of stage one, Jones was able to maintain his position in the top 15 to finish the first stage in 12th. The team called Jones to pit road for his third stop of the race for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 131 – 260)
- Jones started the second stage from the 16th position and finished the stage in 17th place.
- With the second stage underway on lap 139, Jones moved from 16th to 13th before the caution waved on lap 184. The team pitted for four tires, fuel and an adjustment. Unfortunately, a wrench was left in the car when Jones left pit road and he was forced to make a second stop to remove the equipment and had to restart the race from the tail end of the longest line. The race restarted on lap 192 with the No. 20 team in 30th.
- The caution waved on lap 260 to end stage two with Jones in the 17th position. Struggling with the previous set of changes and how it affected the No. 20 Camry, Jones pitted during the caution for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 261 – 500)
- Jones started the final stage from the 16th position and finished the race with a 12th-place finish.
- The final stage from the Virginia short track went green on lap 268 with Jones in the 16th position. With handling close to his liking, Jones made his way in to the top 10 and continued to make routine stops for four tires, fuel and adjustments to continue improving the handling.
- Jones restarted the race for the final time on lap 449 from the 11th position and crossed the finish line with a solid 12th-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Kyle Busch finished ninth, Denny Hamlin finished 11th and Martin Truex Jr. finished 22nd.
Up Next: For the 2020 season finale, the NASCAR Cup Series heads to Phoenix Raceway on Sunday, November 8, 2020. The race broadcast will begin at 3:00 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on NBC, MRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.