Box Score Info:
Date: August 11, 2019
Event: Consumers Energy 400 (Race 23 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Michigan International Speedway (2.0-mile Oval)
Format: 200 Laps (Stages: 60 laps / 120 laps / 200 laps)
Start/Finish: 16th/18th (Completed 200 of 200 laps)
Point Standings: 14th (623 points, 269 points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex, Jr.
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-60)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 DEWALT Toyota Camry team started the Consumers Energy 400 at Michigan International Speedway from the 16th positon and finished stage one in the 12th spot.
- Racing in front of his home crowd, Jones started to make his move to the top 10, but stalled out in the 11th position before making a scheduled green-flag stop on lap 42 for right side tires, fuel and an adjustment.
- Remaining green for the remainder of the stage, the green-checker flag waved on lap 60 with Jones in 12th. With a tight-handling Camry, Jones pitted for another round of adjustments and left-side tires and fuel.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 61-120)
- Jones started stage two from sixth and ended the stage in fifth.
- The race restarted on lap 66 and shortly after the start of the stage, Jones radioed crew chief Chris Gayle that the No. 20 Camry was too loose and as the run continued, he slipped to ninth at the halfway point of the stage.
- Gayle called Jones to pit road on lap 110 for a scheduled green-flag stop for right-side tires and fuel.
- As stops cycled through the field, the caution waved on lap 115 for the No. 2 car spinning with a tire issue. Jones stayed out under the caution and restarted the race from third on lap 119.
- The green-checker flag waved on lap 120 to end the stage with Jones in the fifth position. Following a multi-car accident as the stage ended, pit road opened and Jones pitted for left-side tires, fuel and another round of adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 121-200)
- Jones started the final stage from 18th and finished the race in the same position.
- The final stage of the 200-lap event started on lap 127 with Jones in the 18th position as teams opted for varying pit strategies.
- With the handling of the DEWALT Camry not coming around during the final stage, Jones struggled to move forward and dropped as low at 21st before crossing the finish line in the 18th position.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin finished second, Martin Truex, Jr. finished fourth and Kyle Busch finished sixth.
Next Race: Teams now head to Bristol Motor Speedway under the lights on Saturday, August 17, 2019 for the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race. The race is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, PRN and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.