Date: October 18, 2020
Event: Hollywood Casino 400 (Round 34 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Kansas Speedway (1.5-mile Road Course)
Format: 267 laps (3 Stages: 80 laps / 160 laps / 267 laps)
Start/Finish: 11th/20th (Running, Completed 267 of 267 laps)
Race Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 1 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 2 Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 80)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry team started Sunday’s race at Kansas Speedway from the 11th position and finished stage one in fifth.
- Rolling off the grid from the 11th position, Jones slipped a few positions following the initial race restart, but was able to make his way back to 11th before the scheduled competition caution on lap 25. With the handling a little on the free side, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments and restarted the race from 12th on lap 31.
- Jones quickly moved in to the top 10 and with a fast Camry, was scored in the fifth position on lap 80 when the stage ended. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81 – 160)
- Jones started the second stage from the fourth position and finished the stage in 28th place.
- The race resumed on lap 86 with Jones in the fourth position, but with the handling now on the extreme tight side, Jones slipped to outside the top 10 and was in the 14th position on lap 100.
- Continuing to struggle with the handling of his Camry, Jones made a green-flag pit stop on lap 121 for four tires, fuel, adjustments and to add tape to cover a hole on the grill. Jones returned to the track, one lap down to the leaders.
- The caution waved on lap 145, but unfortunately, it was for the No. 20 and the No. 42 making contact in turn four. With damage to the Reser’s Camry, Jones pitted two times under the caution to make repairs. The race restarted on lap 148 with Jones in the 29th position, one lap down to the leaders.
- Twelve laps later, the caution flag waved to end the stage with the 20 team in the 28th position. Gayle called Jones back to pit road for four tires, fuel, adjustments and to continue making repairs on the Reser’s Camry.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 161 – 267)
- Jones started the final stage from the 29th position and finished the race with a 20th-place finish.
- The final stage of the race at Kansas Speedway went green on lap 167 with the No. 20 team in the 29th position, one lap down to the leaders.
- On lap 199, the caution flag was displayed and Jones was awarded the Lucky Dog to return to the lead lap. Jones again pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments and restarted the race from 27th on lap 205.
- Focused on making progress forward, Jones had another on-track incident and had to make an unscheduled green-flag pit stop for left-side tires and to clear the fenders of the tire. With the unscheduled stop, Jones again found himself one lap down to the leaders.
- The final caution flag waved several laps later on lap 222. Jones was able to take the wave around to return to the lead lap and restarted the race on lap 225 from 27th.
- Over the final 40 laps, Jones was able to gain valuable positions and crossed the finish line with a 20th-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Kyle Busch finished fifth, Martin Truex Jr. finished ninth and Denny Hamlin finished 15th.
Up Next: With three races remaining in the 2020 season, the NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Texas Motor Speedway on Sunday, October 25, 2020. The race broadcast will begin at 3:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on NBCSN, PRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.