Date: June 10, 2020
Event: Blue-Emu Maximum Pain Relief 500 (Round 11 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Martinsville Speedway (.526-mile oval)
Format: 500 laps (3 Stages: 130 laps/130 laps/240 laps)
Start/Finish: 13th/20th (Running, Completed 497 of 500 laps)
Point Standings: 15th (257 Points, 195 Points out of 1st)
Race Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 2 Winner: Jimmie Johnson
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 130)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Toyota Camry team started Wednesday night’s race at Martinsville Speedway from the 13th position and finished stage one in 18th place.
- Racing under the lights at Martinsville Speedway, Jones rolled off from the 13th position and immediately reported to crew chief Chris Gayle the handling of the No. 20 Camry was a little on the tight side.
- Making two routine stops during the stage for four tires, fuel and adjustments, Jones was scored in the 18th position when the caution flag waved on lap 130 to end stage one. Still struggling with a tight-handling Camry, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 131 – 260)
- Jones started the second stage from the 17th position and finished the stage in 22nd.
- Under a long green-flag run, Jones slipped from 17th to 22nd and lost one lap to the leaders during the stage as he continued to fight a tight-handling Camry.
- The caution flag waved on lap 260 to end the stage with the No. 20 team in 22nd. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and another set of adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 261 – 500)
- Jones started the final stage from the 22nd position and finished the race in 20th place.
- Restarting the final stage from the 22nd position, one lap down to the leaders, Jones sustained damage to the nose of the No. 20 Camry early in the stage after making contact with a competitor.
- The caution waved on lap 325 with Jones in the 22nd position. The team called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel, adjustments and to repair the nose and hood of the car. The race restarted with Jones in the 24th position on lap 334.
- Continuing to fight a tight-handling Camry, Jones made his final stop of the race during the lap 396 caution for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
- The race remained green for remainder of the 500-lap race with Jones and the No. 20 team earning a 20th-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. won the race, Kyle Busch finished 19th and Denny Hamlin finished 24th.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Homestead-Miami Speedway on Sunday, June 14, 2020 for the Dixie Vodka 400. The race will be broadcast live on FOX and MRN radio beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET.