Date: August 23, 2020
Event: Drydene 311 (Round 25 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Dover International Speedway (1.0-mile Oval)
Format: 311 laps (3 Stages: 70 laps / 185 laps / 311 laps)
Start/Finish: 9th/22nd (Running, Completed 310 of 311 laps)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 2 Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 70)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Reser’s Toyota Camry team started the Drydene 311 at the Dover International Speedway from the ninth position and finished stage one in 17th place.
- For the second race of the doubleheader weekend at The Monster Mile, Jones started from the ninth position and was running in the top 15 when several cars in front of Jones had contact and brought out the caution on lap five. During the process of trying to avoid the wreck, Jones received damage to the left front fender and was forced to pit road for repairs. Following the trip to pit road, Jones restarted the race on lap 11 in the 35th position.
- Jones moved back in the top 20 on lap 28 and was scored 19th when the caution flag waved on lap 32 for debris. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones back to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 38 with the No. 20 team in the 19th position.
- The caution flag waved again on lap 70 to end the stage with Jones in 17th place. With the handling a little on the snug side, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 71 – 185)
- Jones started the second stage from the 13th position and finished the stage in the 22nd position.
- Following a brief red flag for repairs to the track, Jones restarted the race on lap 78 from the 13th position.
- The caution flag waved on lap 99 and Jones reported that he was “loose everywhere.” The team made the call to take right-side tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 107 with Jones in the 10th position.
- As the stage continued, the handling of the Reser’s Camry did not improve and Jones fell to 22nd, one lap down, before the caution flag waved on lap 185 to end the stage. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and multiple adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 186 – 311)
- Jones started the final stage from the 28th position and finished the race with a 22nd-place finish.
- The final stage of the 311-lap race went green on lap 192 with Jones in the 28th position.
- Fighting to get to the lucky dog position, the caution waved on lap 216 with Jones in 23rd, the third car one lap down. Jones again pitted for four tires, fuel and another set of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 222 with Jones 25th.
- Over the remainder of the race, Jones continued to fight a tight-handling car and was unable to get back on the lead lap.
- Jones finished the race with a 22nd-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. finished second, Kyle Busch finished 11th and Denny Hamlin finished 19th.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Daytona International Speedway for the regular season finale on Saturday, August 29, 2020. The race broadcast will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on NBC, MRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.