Date: August 8, 2020
Event: FireKeepers Casino 400 (Round 21 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Michigan International Speedway (2.0-mile Oval)
Format: 156 laps (3 Stages: 40 laps / 85 laps / 156 laps)
Start/Finish: 23rd/11th (Running, Completed 161 of 161 laps)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 2 Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 40)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 STANLEY Toyota Camry team started the FireKeepers Casino 400 at Michigan International Speedway from the 23rd position and finished stage one in sixth place.
- With the race delayed due to the extended Xfinity Series race, Jones rolled off from the 23rd position on Saturday afternoon and quickly started his march to the front.
- The caution flag waved on lap 15 for the scheduled competition caution with Jones in the 12th position. The team opted to stay out under the caution and restarted the race from ninth on lap 19.
- Remaining green until the end of the stage, the caution flag waved on lap 40 with Jones in the sixth position. Crew Chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires and fuel.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 41 – 85)
- Jones started the second stage from the sixth position and finished the stage in the fourth position.
- The race restarted on lap 47 for the second stage with Jones and the No. 20 STANLEY team in the sixth position.
- As the stage continued under green-flag conditions, Jones was able to move up to second on lap 57 before slipping back to fourth before the caution flag waved on lap 85 to end the stage. With the handling a little on the tight side, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 86 – 156)
- Jones started the final stage from the seventh position and finished the race with an 11th-place finish.
- The final stage of the race started on lap 91 with Jones in the seventh position.
- Moving up to sixth, Jones got loose and lost his momentum, dropping to ninth before the caution waved on lap 93. The team opted to stay out under the caution and restarted the race from ninth on lap 98.
- Settling in to the top 10, the caution waved again on lap 105 with Jones in ninth. The team called Jones to pit road for fuel and a round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 110 with Jones in the second position.
- The caution waved on lap 130 for a single-car accident with Jones scored in the fourth position. The team opted to stay out under the caution and restarted the race on lap 138 from fourth place.
- With several late-race cautions and one attempt at a green-white-checker finish, Jones got a little too tight late in the race and earned an 11th-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. finished third, Kyle Busch finished fifth and Denny Hamlin finished sixth.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series stays at Michigan International Speedway for the second race of the double-header race weekend on Sunday, August 9, 2020, for the Consumers Energy 312. Race coverage will begin at 4:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on NBCSN, MRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.