Date: July 12, 2020
Event: Quaker State 400 (Round 17 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Kentucky Speedway (1.5-mile Oval)
Format: 267 laps (3 Stages: 80 laps / 160 laps / 267 laps)
Start/Finish: 16th/22nd (Running, Completed 267 of 267 laps)
Race Winner: Cole Custer
Stage 1 Winner: Aric Almirola
Stage 2 Winner: Brad Keselowski
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 80)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Made in Georgetown, Kentucky Toyota Camry team started the Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway from the 16th position and finished stage one in 18th.
- With a fast Camry, Jones moved from 16th to 10th on the opening laps.
- Jones was able to gain one more position to ninth before the competition caution on lap 25. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 30 with Jones in ninth place.
- Losing ground on the restart, Jones was scored 19th on lap 32.
- The stage remained green until lap 80 when the caution waved to end stage one. Jones pitted from 18th for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81 – 160)
- Jones started the second stage from the 20th position and finished the stage in 10th.
- The race restarted on lap 87 with the No. 20 Toyota Camry team in the 20th position. Jones was able to advance to 17th before green-flag stops started on lap 145. Continuing to move up in the field as teams pitted, Jones was scored second on lap 153 when he made his green-flag stop for right-side tires, fuel and adjustments.
- Following his green-flag stop, the caution waved on lap 154. Jones stayed out under the caution and restarted the race from 12th on lap 159 for a one lap shoot out to end the stage.
- The caution waved on lap 160 to end stage two with Jones in the 10th position. Gayle called Jones to pit road for left-side tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 161 – 267)
- Jones started the final stage from the 19th position and finished the stage in 32nd.
- The race restarted on lap 167 for the final stage of the race with Jones in the 19th position.
- Stuck in traffic and with the handling not to his liking, Jones was unable to make much progress forward. The team made a green-flag pit stop on lap 211 from the 16th position for four tires, fuel and adjustments and returned to the track in the 25th position, one lap down to the leaders.
- Before the field cycled through green-flag stops, the caution waved on lap 229 with Jones scored 23rd. The team opted to stay out under the caution and take the wave around to get back on the lead lap.
- Over the final laps of the race and through several cautions, the handling of the No. 20 Toyota Camry continued to not be to Jones liking and when the checkered flag waved, Jones was credited with a 22nd-place finish.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex Jr. finished second, Denny Hamlin finished 12th and Kyle Busch finished 21st.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads back to Bristol Motor Speedway on Wednesday, July 15, 2020 for the 2020 NASCAR All-Star race. Coverage of the race will begin at 8:30 p.m. ET on Fox Sports 1, PRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.