Box Score Info:
Date: September 21, 2019
Event: Federated Auto Parts 400 (Race 28 of 36)
Series: Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
Track: Richmond Raceway (.75-mile D-shaped Oval)
Format: 400 Laps (Stages: 100 laps / 100 laps / 200 laps)
Start/Finish: 16th/4th** (The No. 20 car failed post-race technical inspection and was disqualified, resulting in an official finish of 38th.)
Point Standings: 16th (2008 points, 45 points outside the cutoff for the Round of 12)
Race Winner: Martin Truex, Jr.
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex, Jr.
Stage 2 Winner: Kyle Busch
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-100)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started Saturday night’s race at Richmond Raceway from the 16th position and finished the first stage ninth.
- Racing under the lights Saturday night, Jones and the CRAFTSMAN team struggled with the handling of the No. 20 Camry early in stage one, but were able to advance in to the top 10 to finish the first stage in the ninth position. The team opted to pit for the first time under the stage caution for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments. With a solid stop, Jones gained two spots on pit road.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 101-200)
- Jones restarted stage two from the seventh position and ended the stage fourth.
- With one quick caution early in the stage, Jones was able to maintain his position in the top 10 and moved in to the top five on lap 140.
- Gaining one more position, Jones was able to finish the stage in the fourth position. Running lap times comparable to the leaders, but still needing help with the handling of the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry, Jones pitted under the stage two caution on lap 200 for four tires, fuel and a round of adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 201-400)
- Jones restarted the final stage from fifth and finished the race fourth.
- The final stage started on lap 209 with Jones in the fifth position. Focused on the leaders, Jones was scored in the sixth-position when the caution waved on lap 242 for a single-car incident. The team called Jones to pit road for a routine stop and the race restarted on lap 250 with Jones in the seventh spot.
- With the handling of the No. 20 Camry continuing to improve throughout the race, Jones was able to move up to fourth before the final caution of the race waved on lap 314. Pitting for four tires, fuel and adjustments, Jones restarted the race for the final time from sixth on lap 321.
- Staying green for the remainder of the 400-lap event, Jones was able to take over fourth on lap 378 and remained in the spot when the checker flag waved.
- **Unfortunately, the No. 20 Camry failed post-race technical inspection and was disqualified, resulting in an official finish of 38th.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Martin Truex, Jr. won the race with Kyle Busch finishing second and Denny Hamlin finishing third.
Next Race: Teams now had to the ROVAL at Charlotte Motor Speedway for the final race of the Round of 16 on Sunday, September 29, 2019. The race is scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC, MRN Radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.