Date: November 8, 2020
Event: Season Finale 500 (Round 36 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Phoenix Raceway (1.0-mile Oval)
Format: 312 laps (3 Stages: 75 laps / 190 laps / 312 laps)
Start/Finish: 14th/22nd (Running, Completed 311 of 312 laps)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 2 Winner: Brad Keselowski
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 75)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 DEWALT Atomic Toyota Camry team started Sunday’s season finale at Phoenix Raceway from the 14th position and finished stage one in 12th place.
- For the final race of the 2020 season, Jones and the No. 20 team started the race from the 14th position and moved up to 12th before slipping back to 14th when the caution waved on lap 30 for the scheduled competition caution. With the handling on the loose side, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 36 with Jones scored 13th.
- The stage remained green until lap 74 when the caution waved to end the stage. Jones again pitted for four tires, fuel and another set of adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 76 – 190)
- Jones started the second stage from the 11th position and finished the stage in 20th place.
- The second stage went green on lap 82 with Jones in the 11th position.
- Continuing to struggle with the handling of the No. 20 Camry, Jones made a scheduled green-flag pit stop on lap 139 for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
- The caution waved on lap 160 with Jones in the 19th position. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and another round of adjustments. The race restarted on lap 166 with Jones in the 15th position.
- Twenty four laps later, the caution waved on lap 190 to end the stage. Jones pitted from the 20th position for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 191 – 312)
- Jones started the final stage from the 19th position and finished the race with a 22nd-place finish.
- The final stage of the race started on lap 200 with Jones in the 19th position.
- The stage ran in its entirety under green-flag conditions with Jones making his final scheduled stop on lap 250.
- As the race continued, Jones slipped off the lead lap and finished the race in the 22nd position.
- Jones finished the 2020 season with nine top-five finishes and 13 top-10 finishes.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammates Denny Hamlin finished fourth, Martin Truex Jr. finished 10th and Kyle Busch finished 11th.