Date: May 28, 2020 (Rain Delayed from May 27, 2020)
Event: Alsco Uniforms 500 (Round 8 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Charlotte Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 208 laps (Stages: 55 laps/60 laps/93 laps)
Start/Finish: 10th/26th (Running, Completed 207 of 208 laps)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano
Stage 2 Winner: Alex Bowman
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 55)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 CRAFTSMAN Toyota Camry team started Thursday night’s rain delayed race at Charlotte Motor Speedway from the 10th position and finished stage one in the 12th spot.
- Racing under the lights on Thursday evening, Jones rolled off from the 10th position and moved up to seventh before a quick caution slowed the field on lap one. The race restarted on lap seven with Jones seventh.
- With a loose-handling Camry, Jones remained seventh until lap 20 when NASCAR called for the schedule competition caution. Jones pitted for right-side tires and fuel. The race restarted on lap 24 with Jones ninth.
- The caution again waved on lap 29 for an on-track incident. Unfortunately, rain and lightning in the area forced NASCAR to display the red flag. After an hour delay, the race resumed with Jones in the 14th position.
- The caution waved on lap 55 to end stage one with the No. 20 team in the 12th position. The team pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments to help with the loose-handling condition.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 56 – 115)
- Jones started the second stage from the 13th position and finished the stage in 15th.
- With stage two underway, Jones was able to move up to 10th before the caution waved on lap 71. The team called Jones to pit road for right-side tires, fuel and adjustments. When the race restarted on lap 78, Jones was in the 15th position.
- Following the restart, Jones slipped to 23rd before making his way back to 15th when the caution waved on lap 115 to end stage two. Crew chief Chris Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 116 – 208)
- Jones started the final stage from 13th place and finished the race in the 26th position.
- The race restarted on lap 122 for the final stage of the race with Jones in the 13th position.
- With a fast Camry, Jones was able to advance to eighth before the caution waved on lap 143. Pretty happy with the handling, but still needing to be a little tighter, Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments. Unfortunately, Jones was penalized for pitting outside the pit box and was called back to pit road for a one-lap penalty. Jones returned to the track in the 35th position for the lap 149 restart, one lap down to the leaders.
- Unable to get back on the lead lap, Jones finished the race in the 26th position.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin finished second with Martin Truex, Jr. ninth and Kyle Busch 29th.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series turns their attention to Bristol Motor Speedway on Sunday, May 31, 2020 for The Food City Supermarket Heroes 500. The race will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 and PRN radio beginning at 3:30 p.m. ET.