Date: June 7, 2020
Event: Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 (Round 10 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Atlanta Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 500 laps (Stages: 105 laps/210laps/325 laps)
Start/Finish: 14th/28th (Running, Completed 322 of 325 laps)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 2 Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 105)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 STANLEY Toyota Camry team started Sunday’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway from the 14th position and finished stage one in eighth place.
- For the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500, Jones rolled off from the 14th position and moved in to the top 10 on the opening lap.
- The race was slowed on lap 25 for the scheduled competition caution. With the No. 20 Camry a little too loose, Jones pitted from ninth for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 30 with Jones in 11th.
- As the race continued, Jones made a scheduled green-flag pit stop on lap 65 and was able to work his way to eighth before the caution waved on lap 94. Reporting that his car was still a little too loose and that he was starting to have issues with the throttle sticking, Jones again pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
- With a shoot out to end the stage, Jones restarted the race on lap 99 from the ninth position and ended the stage in eighth when the caution waved on lap 105. Jones again made a routine stop for four tires, fuel and adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 106 – 210)
- Jones started the second stage from the eighth position and finished the stage in 29th.
- The race restarted on lap 112 with the STANLEY team in the eighth position.
- Continuing to run in the top 10, Jones made a green-flag stop on lap 159 for four tires and fuel.
- The caution waved on lap 201 and Jones again pitted for four tires, fuel and stayed on pit road for an extended time to work on the throttle. The race returned to green on lap 206 with Jones in the 20th position. Unfortunately, on lap 208 while battling four-wide inside in the top 15, contact with a competitor cut the right front tire on the No. 20 Camry. Jones pitted for right-side tires and returned to the track in 29th. The caution waved on lap 210 and even though Jones was the first car one lap down, he was not eligible for the lucky dog position since he pitted when pit road was closed. The team called Jones back to pit road for left side tires and to again work on the throttle.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 211 – 325)
- Jones started the final stage from the 30th position and finished the race in 28th place.
- The race restarted for the final stage on lap 217 with Jones in the 30th position, one lap down to the leaders.
- With a fast Camry, luck wasn’t on Jones’ side as the race remained green for the remainder of the day. Unable to get back on the lead lap, Jones finished the race in 28th.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Kyle Busch finished second with Martin Truex Jr. in third and Denny Hamlin in fifth.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Martinsville Speedway for mid-week racing on Wednesday, June 10, 2020 for the Blue-Emu Maximum Pain Relief 500. The race will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1 and MRN radio beginning at 7:00 p.m. ET.