Date: August 16, 2020
Event: Go Bowling 235 (Round 23 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Daytona International Speedway Road Course (3.56-mile Oval)
Format: 65 laps (3 Stages: 15 laps / 30 laps / 65 laps)
Start/Finish: 20th/11th (Running, Completed 65 of 65 laps)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 1 Winner: Chase Elliott
Stage 2 Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1 – 15)
- Erik Jones and the No. 20 Toyota Camry team started the Go Bowling 235 at the Daytona International Speedway Road Course from the 20th position and finished stage one in sixth place.
- With the race underway Sunday afternoon, Jones quickly started making his way to the front of the field. As the stage closed in on the final laps, teams started playing strategies and pitting before the end of the stage. Jones and crew chief Chris Gayle made the decision to race for points and opted to stay on track.
- The caution waved on lap 15 to end stage one with Jones in the sixth position. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and a set of adjustments to improve on the handling of the No. 20 Camry.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 16 – 30)
- Jones started the second stage from the 22nd position and finished the stage in the 16th position.
- Starting stage two from the 22nd position, Jones reported the No. 20 Camry had no rear grip and was not handling to his liking.
- The caution waved on lap 30 to end the stage with Jones in the 16th position. Gayle called Jones to pit road for four tires, fuel and another set of adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 31 – 65)
- Jones started the final stage from the 10th position and finished the race with an 11th-place finish.
- The final stage got underway on lap 32 with Jones in the 10th position. Unfortunately, immediately after the restart, the No. 4 car spun in front of the field. In an effort to avoid contact, Jones lost valuable positions and dropped to 17th.
- NASCAR was forced to halt to race on lap 38 due to lightning in the area and following the mandated 30-minute delay, the race resumed at the Daytona Road Course.
- Still not happy with the handling of the No. 20 Toyota Camry, Jones made a scheduled green-flag pit stop on lap 46 from the ninth position for four tires, fuel and another set of adjustments.
- Once the field cycled through pit stops, Jones was again scored in the ninth position.
- A late-race caution on lap 60 allowed the team one more opportunity to work on the handling of the No. 20 Camry. Jones pitted for four tires, fuel and adjustments. The race restarted on lap 62 with Jones in the 16th position.
- Moving forward in the field during the closing laps, Jones was able to cross the finish line in the 11th position.
- Joe Gibbs Racing teammate Denny Hamlin finished second, Martin Truex Jr. finished third and Kyle Busch finished 37th.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series now heads to Dover International Speedway for another double header weekend. Teams will compete on Saturday, August 22, 2020 and again on Sunday, August 23, 2020. Both race broadcast will begin at 4:00 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on NBCSN, MRN radio and SIRIUS XM Channel 90.